Captain John Eddy
Submitted by: Thomas Eddy
The following is information is paraphrased from the "History of McHenry County, Illinois, Chicago:
Inter-State Publishing Co., 1885. This reference discusses one of the oldest settlers in McHenry county.
....."...but one family living in the township that was here when he came."
......."He saw the first mail wagon (an old emigrant or cheese wagon) that carried the mail
from Chicago to Galena, in 1838. The first log school-house in the township was built on his land and he cut the
first log with which to make it. Before it was finishes, however, it was taken down and moved to section 33. The
first well in the county was dug by his father [Robert Eddy], on section 27. It was dug early in 1837, walled up
with stone, and still furnishes a good supply off pure cold water. Captain Eddy owns 340 acres of choice land, all
......."In the late civil war our subject enlisted in the Ninety-fifth Illinois Infantry, and
was commissioned Captain of Company E. He participated in the battles of Champion Hill, Vicksburg, and many others,
but in 1864 was sent home to recruit new troops and thus escaped some of the most severe battles. He was served in
many local offices of trus, such as Sheriff, Supervisor, Justice of the Peace, School Trustee and Director."