Captain John Eddy
 
Submitted by: Thomas Eddy
Email:tjeddy@telcs.com
 
The following is information is paraphrased from the "History of McHenry County, Illinois, Chicago:  Inter-State Publishing Co., 1885.  This reference discusses one of the oldest  settlers in McHenry county.   
 
....."...but one family living in the township that was here when he came."
 
......."He saw the first mail wagon (an old emigrant or cheese wagon) that carried the mail from Chicago to Galena, in 1838.  The first log school-house in the township was built on his land and he cut the first log with which to make it.  Before it was finishes, however, it was taken down and moved to section 33.  The first well in the county was dug by his father [Robert Eddy], on section 27.  It was dug early in 1837, walled up with stone, and still furnishes a good supply off pure cold water.  Captain Eddy owns 340 acres of choice land, all well improved."
 
......."In the late civil war our subject enlisted in the Ninety-fifth Illinois Infantry, and was commissioned Captain of Company E.  He participated in the battles of Champion Hill, Vicksburg, and many others, but in 1864 was sent home to recruit new troops and thus escaped some of the most severe battles.  He was served in many local offices of trus, such as Sheriff, Supervisor, Justice of the Peace, School Trustee and Director."
 
 


Previous  |  Next ]     [ Up  |  First  |  Last ]     (Article 41 of 93)